Current status of the South Island Highways
Here is the current status of the South Island Highways this morning:
* NEW: State Highway 63 Rai Valley to Renwick - CLOSED due to flooding.
* State Highway 1 between Cheviot and Seddon - CLOSED due to earthquake damage.
* State Highway 7 between Waipara to Springs Junction - OPEN (Lewis Pass) down to one lane in places.
* State Highway 7a between Tekoa Range and Hanmer Springs is OPEN to light vehicles - no towing vehicles.
* State Highway 73 between Christchurch and the West Coast open (some cracking in road and temporary speed limits in places.)
Picton, Blenheim, and Nelson are all accessible from the south via State Highway 7 (Lewis Pass) but please note this will add at least three hours additional journey time.