KiwiRail earthquake update
Following our earlier communication
regarding this morning’s earthquake, we continue to do all we can to restore
services for our customers and for the New Zealand public. The latest
update is as follows:
- North Island Main Trunk Line Auckland to Palmerston North
- Palmerston North to New Plymouth
- Palmerston North to Napier
- Picton to Blenheim
- Christchurch to Invercargill
- North Island Main Trunk Line Palmerston North to Wellington. We anticipate this line re-opening this evening.
- Main North Line Blenheim to Christchurch is closed
- Midland Line - checks continue
Ferry sailingsSailings will resume this evening as follows:
• 20:30 Kaitaki from Wellington
• 18:00 Kaiarahi from Picton
Aratere sailings remain suspended due to damage to the Wellington linkspan.
In addition to the earthquake disruption, there is a severe weather warning in place for the region which may further impact ferry sailings.
- The overbridge at Ava Railway Station (Lower Hutt) has been deemed structurally unsafe for Wellington electric services to run beneath, however we are hopeful that freight services may resume later this afternoon.
- There is significant damage to the Main North Line between Picton and Christchurch, particularly around Kaikoura. Early reports indicate this may be closed for several days.
Our teams continue to work through our services to establish what freight can be moved and received in the regions. You can direct your team to our Freight websites (Rail and Ferry) for regular updates. And in the interest of not sending too many emails, we will send you daily updates with our progress.