Travel Advisory - South Island update
Here is the current status of the South Island Highways from NZTA:
Picton, Blenheim, and Nelson are all accessible from the south via State Highway 7 (Lewis Pass) but please note if travelling to Picton or Blenheim this will add about 90-120 minutes extra travel time than the now closed SH1 route. Between Christchurch and Picton allow for a 7.5 hour trip. Those travelling to Nelson should allow for up to 30min delays due to increased traffic.
Please note that there significant increased traffic on State Highway 7 since the earthquake and we advise to take extra care and take your time driving through this area.
Extra travel advice for the Canterbury and Marlborough region can be found here.<http://scanmail.trustwave.com/?c=2838&d=8few2K4QDvvNKT_G3IBuMT6a9fb8X8-w1kTzLZmn9A&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2enzta%2egovt%2enz%2ftraffic-and-travel-information%2ftravel-information-for-canterbury-and-marlborough-regions%2f>
* State Highway 1 Waikuku - Pegasus Boulevard is down to one lane at the roundabout due to a crash - expect short delays while cleared.
* State Highway 1 between Picton and Ward - OPEN but reduced to one lane in multiple places due to earthquake damage. Take extra care.
* State Highway 1 between Cheviot and Ward - CLOSED due to earthquake damage. Controlled access for local residents and emergency services only between Cheviot and Goose Bay.
* State Highway 7 between Waipara to Springs Junction - OPEN (Lewis Pass) - down to one lane in places.
* State Highway 7A between Tekoa Range and Hanmer Springs - OPEN - no restrictions in place.
* State Highway 73 between Christchurch and the West Coast - OPEN - due to cracking some speed restrictions are in place over the highway.
Please check the NZ Transport Agency's Traffic & Travel<http://scanmail.trustwave.com/?c=2838&d=8few2K4QDvvNKT_G3IBuMT6a9fb8X8-w1kWkJMuhqg&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2enzta%2egovt%2enz%2ftraffic> page for the latest updates.
Highways and Network