SH3 Awakino: Final surfacing commences on Monday 20 November. Stop/go traffic management will be in place, with delays of up to 15 minutes expected. Work is expected to be complete by the end of March 2024.
SH3 Mt Messenger: Slip debris removal work takes place between Monday 20 and Wednesday 22 November, between 5pm and 5am each night. Stop/go traffic management and a temporary speed limit will be in place during this time.
SH3 Uruti: Rock mesh slip protection work north of Mangamaio Road continues. Stop/go and stop/stop traffic management will be in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, along with a 30km/h temporary speed restriction until Christmas.
SH3 Te Ara Tutohu Waitara to Bell Block: Due to safety improvement works, there is stop/go traffic management with a 30km/h speed limit in place 24/7.
Upcoming Road Closures - SH3 at Johns Road (Tariki) and Denmark Terrace (Midhirst): 10-11 December (7pm-4am)
- Asphalt repairs will be completed at two sites on SH3 between Inglewood and Midhirst overnight on both Sunday 10 and Monday 11 December 2023.
- The sites are SH3 between Rugby and Norfolk Road at Tariki, and between Denmark Terrace and Denbigh Road north of Midhirst. See attached maps.
To make sure this work is done as safely and efficiently as possible while minimising the disruption to road users, it will be done under a full road closure between 7pm and 4am each night.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The work will be completed between 7pm and 4am overnight on both Sunday 10 December and Monday 11 December.
- Two sections of SH3 will be closed during this time: Mountain Road between Rugby and Norfolk Roads at Tariki; and Mountain Road between Denmark Terrace and Denbigh Road at Midhirst.
- We have designed the work to best minimise disruption to road users while enabling crews to complete the work safely and efficiently. The location of the work means the standard stop/go approach isn’t possible as crews will work across both lanes at once. The bridges at these points of the state highway also don’t allow traffic to safely travel around the work site.
- To minimise disruption to road users on this busy stretch of road, additional maintenance works along SH3 between Inglewood and Stratford will be completed during this time. Please keep an eye out for our crews and drive to the conditions.
- Should the weather not be suitable before or on Sunday 10 December and Monday 11 December, the work will be postponed to Sunday 17 December and Monday 18 December.
SH3 Inglewood to Stratford Pre-Reseal Repairs: 10-17 December (7pm to 7am)
- Crews will also complete pre-reseal patch repairs along SH3 between Inglewood and Stratford from 10- 17 December at night, under stop go traffic controls.
- Please keep an eye out for our crews while travelling at night and drive to the conditions.
Upcoming Road Closures - SH3 Inglewood to Stratford: 14-28 January 2024 (7pm-4am)
- Crews will be resealing a large portion of SH3 between Inglewood and Stratford overnight from 7pm-4am from 14 - 28 January 2024.
The work will be completed under a single-lane road closure for northbound traffic between 7pm and 4am on these nights, Sunday-Thursday. Closures will not take place on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Work will commence Sunday 14 January and will take approximately two weeks to complete (weather permitting).
- SH3 between Dudley Road in Inglewood and Monmouth Road in Stratford will be closed to northbound traffic on 14-28 January between 7pm and 4am, Sunday to Thursday. Closures will not take place on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Northbound road users are encouraged to plan ahead and take local roads or SH45 during this time. Southbound road users will be able to travel along SH3 under a temporary speed restriction, however, to avoid delays are encouraged to take alternative routes where possible.
- Temporary speed restrictions will remain in place overnight while the new seals set. The sites will then be swept and line-marked during off-peak hours. Please keep an eye out for our crews and drive to the conditions.
- To minimise the risk of damage to vehicles and new seals, road users must adhere to all temporary speed restrictions in place.
The Journey North: SH3 New Plymouth to Te Kuiti
You can expect multiple stop/go sites, temporary speed limits, areas of unsealed road while under repair, and loose chip seal.
- A detour will be in place for the SH3 Waitara to Bell Block Safety Improvements Project from 11 December to 2 February. Learn more here.
- Work continues at SH3 Uruti, north of Mangamaio Road until mid-December 2023 under stop/go traffic controls with delays of up to 30 minutes.
The Journey South: SH3 to Hawera and SH43 Forgotten World Highway Safety Improvements
- Work continues at SH3 New Plymouth to Egmont village with the closure of Junction Street intersection until mid-December 2023.
- Ongoing closures at SH43 in the Tāngarākau Gorge until mid-December.